BlackBerry Support Forum - Powered by vBulletin
    ronin11 is offline Member
    BlackBerry Device: torch 9800

Device Firmware: .246

Email Configuration: BlackBerry Internet Service (BIS)

Mobile Carrier & location: optus AUS

torch cant send/receive MMS

so im having issues with receiving MMS's. i called optus the first time it happened, and they resent the service books and it worked fine again, but speaing to a friend yesterday they sent me an MMS that i never received.
    is there any known bugs with MMS on the torch or a fix that is out there? i have tried sending myself an MMS to no avail. A battery reset hasn't made a difference either.

Thanks,

Dan.

metroside is offline Active Member
    BlackBerry Device: Blackberry Q10 + Bridged w/ PB 16GB

Device Firmware: 10.2.0.424

Email Configuration: BlackBerry 10 - Standard Data Plan

Mobile Carrier & location: Telstra

I had a similar issue and thought I had something setup wrong on my phone. It wasn't until I spoke to Crazy Johns and they activated the service on my account that it worked. I was surprised it wasn't done by default. I would give Optus another call and while on the phone try sending yourself an MMS and work with them until you get it working.

Spent about an hour on the phone with them this afternoon. Their tech guys couldn't figure it out. Have to take it into an outlet after xmas to see if its a sim or handset error. What is it with these phones! I had to get my bold replaced 2 weeks after I got it due to a dodgy handset. I'm buying me an iphone 4!! Lol

GaryCutri is offline Moderator
    BlackBerry Device: z10

Device Firmware: 10.1.0.264

Mobile Carrier & location: Telstra - Australia

Blog Entries
    Hi,

I can confirm that MMS does work on the Torch but unfortunately the carriers all have different codes that need to be enabled for it to work correctly. If the carrier has one code missing or some form a WAP barring enabled MMS will not work.

Thanks,

Gary

an update on what is happening.

after alot of fighting with optus, they sent me a new handset. The fighting included sending the phone in for 3 weeks, where it got sent to engineers, blackberry and who knows who else to get looked at. came back nil concerns. I also got a new sim card, and tested it in a samsung galaxy S, and it sent and received MMS fine with my sim. placed it it in the torch, no dice. so kicked my feet a little and optus sent me a new handset, only to have the same issue. I can send MMS no problem, but dont receive them.
    My old handset, i set up for my girlfriend, who is also with optus. she is going overseas and didnt care about the MMS issue whilst she was away and as the handset wasnt working she wasnt concerned if it got damaged.. till we tested it. with her SIM in it, it works perfectly!! so it seems i have to go back to optus now and AGAIN try and get them to fix it through my account, as the phone is obviously not in error.
    saying that, when i set up the torch for her, it has different message icons and indicators to the new handset. i havent changed any setting on it, and i keep getting told there are no updates available at this time for mine.. hers now looks more up to date than mine does.. so im thinking something is wrong with my account settings.

craigy31 is offline Member
    BlackBerry Device: Torch 9800

Device Firmware: 6.0 Bundle 695 v6.0.0.246, Platform 6.4.0.105

Mobile Carrier & location: Telstra NextG Australia

Hi,

I bought a BB Torch 9800 AT&T model as I needed onbe compatible with the Telstra NextG network. Afterbsetting mine up on the Telstra NextG BIS I was having issues only sending MMS, I could only receive them. You'll see I made a post here, under my user name. Gary replied & left instructions on whatbto look at. After making those changes I was able to send MMS, however one little thing. For me to be able to send pictures that I took with my BB Torch I had to change the settings in the camera options to only take small normal size photos as if I tried to send a picture that was taken on normal large photo settings it wouldn't downsize the picture for MMS capacity and wouldn't send. As soon as I made the setting changes, all was fine.

Also note that my model is an American model, not the Optus Australian release so I'm not sure the instructions Gary gave me will work on the Optus model as I had to go in and delete of AT&T settings and leave blank.

Cheers

Craig

hi craig,

Ive been through your thread, as well as the others on here describing the same issue, all to no avail. Optus now seem to think its to do with my account or phone having some ID problem and registering as a BES instead of BIS. Fingers crossed they are able to fix it now.
    One thing i have noticed is every person i have called at optus has done something different. Sure enough people have different experience in the field and with problems. Things like the ID issue should have and could have been identified straight away, but wasnt. Its frustrating to have so many different people working on my phone but nt going through a process of elimination at least on what could possibly be causing the issues.

GaryCutri is offline Moderator
    BlackBerry Device: z10

Device Firmware: 10.1.0.264

Mobile Carrier & location: Telstra - Australia

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ronin11 View Post
    hi craig,

Ive been through your thread, as well as the others on here describing the same issue, all to no avail. Optus now seem to think its to do with my account or phone having some ID problem and registering as a BES instead of BIS. Fingers crossed they are able to fix it now.
    One thing i have noticed is every person i have called at optus has done something different. Sure enough people have different experience in the field and with problems. Things like the ID issue should have and could have been identified straight away, but wasnt. Its frustrating to have so many different people working on my phone but nt going through a process of elimination at least on what could possibly be causing the issues.
    Hi,

Please ensure that you go into Options > Device > Advanced System Settings > TCP IP > Ensure all APN Settings are blank. Then go into Options > Device > Advanced System Settings > Service Book and let us know what MMS entries are listed.

Thanks,

Gary