BlackBerry Support Forum - Powered by vBulletin
    J_McKinnon is offline Junior Member
    BlackBerry Device: Torch 9800

Device Firmware: 6.0.0.246

Email Configuration: BlackBerry Enterprise Server (BES)

Mobile Carrier & location: Telstra - Australia

BES 5.02 - Unable to open PDF file attachments

I work for an agency that currently runs a fleet of BlackBerry Bold 9000 and 9700 devices. The current systems includes BES 4.1.x servers (one 4.1.6 and one 4.1.7)

We are at the beginning of a project to build high availablility BES 5.02 servers and have built a preliminary development environment for us to test before building the HA nodes.

The dev environment is as follows.
    • BES Router (located in the DMZ)
    • BES Server (Running Domino 8.51)
    • BAS server
    • Attachment/Collaboration/MDS server

The BES and BAS servers run Windows Server 2008 SP2 (x64bit), the Router and Attachment servers run Windows 2003 SP2 (x32 bit)

We have encountered an issue where users on these dev servers are unable to open PDF file attachments. The device shows the error 'This attachment type cannot be viewed on your device'

This seems to be limited to PDF files only. Testing with .DOC and .XLS opened those file types with no error.

One device currently used for testing was previously activated against the 4.1.6 BES and was able to open PDF file without error. The user account was moved from 4.1.6 to 5.02 with the BlackBerry Transporter application. The other test device was wiped and activated as a new account.

This inability to open PDF files occurs on both devices activated against the BES 5.02 server. (Both devices are 9700's running the Telstra 5.0.0.351 firmware bundle)

The Test Attachment Service in the BlackBerry Server Configuration application on the attachment server reports 'The file was successfully converted.' when testing with a PDF file.

PDF files are set to allowed in the Attachement server instance.

Has anyone else experienced an inability to open PDF files when using BES 5.02?
    Does anyone have any suggestions before I log a support call with RIM?

GaryCutri is offline Moderator
    BlackBerry Device: z10

Device Firmware: 10.1.0.264

Email Configuration: BlackBerry 10 - Standard Data Plan

Images
    Blog Entries
    Hi,

I have seen this issue a number of times but in these cases only 9700 were affected. If possible can you test a Bold 9000 on this new server and confirm if it can open PDF attachments?

Thanks,

Gary

Gary,
    Thanks for the prompt reply.

I dusted off the old Bold 9000 device and downgraded the O/S back to the offical Telstra release 4.6.0.282 - Come on Telstra, release 5.0 already (preferably a version that isn't buggy!) - I figured if I have to call for support - I'm going to have to have the firmware they support on the device.

Unfortunately - when the Bold 9000 was activated against the 5.02 server, I am still unable to open the PDF file attachment so it doens't appear to be a Bold 9700 specific issue.

Any other ideas? Anyone?

Images
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by J_McKinnon View Post
    Gary,
    Thanks for the prompt reply.

I dusted off the old Bold 9000 device and downgraded the O/S back to the offical Telstra release 4.6.0.282 - Come on Telstra, release 5.0 already (preferably a version that isn't buggy!) - I figured if I have to call for support - I'm going to have to have the firmware they support on the device.

Unfortunately - when the Bold 9000 was activated against the 5.02 server, I am still unable to open the PDF file attachment so it doens't appear to be a Bold 9700 specific issue.

Any other ideas? Anyone?
    I have had this issue reported by a few other users within the past 24 hours so I recommend that you log a fault with the BlackBerry Help Desk (1800 010 253).

Ended up logging this issue with the RIM helpdesk (via Telstra) - The Telstra tech had not encountered this issue before (in fact - he said it was his first Service pack 2 related call)

Many props to the Telstra tech though - spent the time trying to assist before escalating through to the RIM techs.
    RIM techs could not find any issues in log files and suggested I install the attachment server on the primary BES box.

After installation of the Attachment service on the primary BES box - I was able to view PDF attachments. But this kind of defeats the purpose of having a dedicated attachment server.

Rang RIM back and advised this had resolved the issue, but wanted to run the attachment server on a dedicated remote server. They advised me to follow KB04296 BlackBerry Technical Solution Center

Once I followed the instructions in KB04296 I received a different error. (Attachment server not found)

To rectify this error, I went into the BAS connector configurations for the AC_EMAIL and AC_MDS-CS connectors and set Dedicated server to Yes.

Hopefully this may help others who may encounter similar errors.

Images
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by J_McKinnon View Post
    Ended up logging this issue with the RIM helpdesk (via Telstra) - The Telstra tech had not encountered this issue before (in fact - he said it was his first Service pack 2 related call)

Many props to the Telstra tech though - spent the time trying to assist before escalating through to the RIM techs.
    RIM techs could not find any issues in log files and suggested I install the attachment server on the primary BES box.

After installation of the Attachment service on the primary BES box - I was able to view PDF attachments. But this kind of defeats the purpose of having a dedicated attachment server.

Rang RIM back and advised this had resolved the issue, but wanted to run the attachment server on a dedicated remote server. They advised me to follow KB04296 BlackBerry Technical Solution Center

Once I followed the instructions in KB04296 I received a different error. (Attachment server not found)

To rectify this error, I went into the BAS connector configurations for the AC_EMAIL and AC_MDS-CS connectors and set Dedicated server to Yes.

Hopefully this may help others who may encounter similar errors.
    Thank you for the detailed feedback.

purjed is offline Member
    BlackBerry Device: Curve 8530

Device Firmware: 5.0.0.734

Mobile Carrier & location: Verizon - US

I am having the same issue but I would prefer not to have a remote attachment server. Has anybody solved the issue on a local attachment server? Thanks.

Images
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by purjed View Post
    I am having the same issue but I would prefer not to have a remote attachment server. Has anybody solved the issue on a local attachment server? Thanks.
    In relation to the PDF issue on a test device go into Options > Advanced Options > Service Book and delete all entries that start with "[Desktop]" > Resend the service books from the BES to this test user > Test to see if PDFs work correctly.

If you continue to have issues it is possible that another service is using the attachment service port. To correct this issue you will need to change the attachment port to another port that is not in use.