BlackBerry Support Forum - Powered by vBulletin
    rogue_83 is offline Member
    BlackBerry Device: 9700

Device Firmware: 5.0.0.351

Email Configuration: BlackBerry Enterprise Server (BES)

Mobile Carrier & location: Telsta - Australia

Installing OS software on BES not working - BbDevMgr.exe error

Hi all,

I've run into a new problem with my BES 5.0 (have had the new BES 5.0 running since October without any problems)

We are trying to upgrade the OS for 9000s and 9700s in our fleet. We already have shared network drives thtat have been scanned in the BES console (and currently have the existing software bundles identified).

To complete the two upgrades for the two OS's, i followed the instructions to first install the upgrade EXE on the BES server itself. This has encountered a problem, where it runs through the install and then errors out saying it is unable to read or see the "BbDevMgr.exe" file - \\blackberry\c$\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\USB Drivers

The Blackberry service account already has full rights to this folder, and even though the folder and the exe exists, I am unable to complete installation of the new OS upgrade, and instead am forced to cancel the setup. I have not found any solution regarding this, and any information or suggestions would be most helpful.

I fear with the new BES 5.0, there might have been some changed shared locations or legacy folders that the install is trying to read/write to?? This used to work prior to upgrading the BES to version 5.

Any help is most welcome.

Thank you.

GaryCutri is offline Moderator
    BlackBerry Device: z10

Device Firmware: 10.1.0.264

Email Configuration: BlackBerry 10 - Standard Data Plan

Mobile Carrier & location: Telstra - Australia

Images
    Blog Entries
    Hi,

Can you please confirm the exact version of BES 5.0 that you are running (e.g. 5.0.2.28)? Also are you saying that you can't get past step 1 which is to install the firmware onto the BES?

Step By Step Guide:
    Permitting users to update the BlackBerry Device Software using the BlackBerry Web Desktop Manager - Update Guide - BlackBerry Device Software - 5.0.2

Thanks,

Gary

rogue_83 is offline Member
    BlackBerry Device: 9700

Device Firmware: 5.0.0.351

Email Configuration: BlackBerry Enterprise Server (BES)

Mobile Carrier & location: Telsta - Australia

Hi Gary

We are running 5.0.2.28; We usually create a software bundle (for firmware updates) and push it out OTA to users, which we were able to do with the 4.x version.

There is a firmware update that we are trying to install for 9700s and 9000s (we are probably a little late on this), and when i run the exe on the BES, it goes through till the setup in progress part, and then errors out with the mentioned BbDevMgr.exe error (even though this file exists in the specified location). The setup lets me choose country, accept terms of agreement, etc, and starts the setup process, then errors out.

Will go through all the documentation again in the link you provided to make sure im not missing anything out, although i have been through it already. We were able to scan the network drives and find the software bundles for the already existign firmwares (that were carried over from BES 4.x), only we can't install any new firmware because of the error, and thus cant scan and create new software bundles.

Hope this is not too confusing.

GaryCutri is offline Moderator
    BlackBerry Device: z10

Device Firmware: 10.1.0.264

Email Configuration: BlackBerry 10 - Standard Data Plan

Mobile Carrier & location: Telstra - Australia

Images
    Blog Entries
    I recommend that you first try rebooting the BES and then try installing the firmware again. Also have you tried doing a search via BAS for Wireless Bundles?