BlackBerry Support Forum - Powered by vBulletin
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    manx1975 is offline Member
    BlackBerry Device: Torch 9800

Device Firmware: 6.0.0.246

Email Configuration: BlackBerry Enterprise Server (BES)

Mobile Carrier & location: Vodafone - UK

Moving BES 4.1.6 to a new server and upgrading to BES 5.1

Hi,

We're about to move our BES server from a physical host to a virtual host and upgrade it to version 5.1. Is there a definitive guide on how to migrate to a new server then upgrade. Obviously I would like to avoid setting up all of our users again.

Our Exchange server is version 2003 still.

Thanks,
    Mark

GaryCutri is offline Moderator
    BlackBerry Device: z10

Device Firmware: 10.1.0.264

Email Configuration: BlackBerry 10 - Standard Data Plan

Mobile Carrier & location: Telstra - Australia

Images
    Blog Entries
    Hi,

You can just P2V your current BES and then perform an in-place upgrade. The alternative option is to setup a fresh server (Server 2008 x64 is recommended) and install BES 5.0.2 and then use the BlackBerry Enterprise Transporter utility to move your users. Depending on what type of BES 5 license you have you may need to obtain a temp SRP ID\Auth Key but if you post back with the details we can let you know what is required.

Thanks,

Gary

Hi Gary,

Thanks for the information, we're going to fresh install as we have a couple of minor issues with the current physical server setup which we would like to iron out.

We are going to be doing a device refresh so might be better for me to do the BES upgrade and device refresh at the same time, as it will require setting up all new devices, only a small number of users will keep old devices.

Obviously the version of BES 5 we're getting will be upgrade so I guess I have to install BES 4.1.6 first then upgrade from that as we won't have a full installer I don't think.

I am going to put it onto Windows 2008 R2 as we're trying to get our entire system onto 64bit.

Thanks,
    Mark

Images
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by manx1975 View Post
    Hi Gary,

Thanks for the information, we're going to fresh install as we have a couple of minor issues with the current physical server setup which we would like to iron out.

We are going to be doing a device refresh so might be better for me to do the BES upgrade and device refresh at the same time, as it will require setting up all new devices, only a small number of users will keep old devices.

Obviously the version of BES 5 we're getting will be upgrade so I guess I have to install BES 4.1.6 first then upgrade from that as we won't have a full installer I don't think.

I am going to put it onto Windows 2008 R2 as we're trying to get our entire system onto 64bit.

Thanks,
    Mark

Can you please confirm exactly what you have purchased (e.g. "One Time Upgrade") and the exact name of the installer file you received (e.g. besx_5.0.2.exe)? Once I have these details I can provide a step by step guide.

Hi,

I finally received the email link from Vodafone today with details to download our upgrade.

Basically I had to fill out an online form on Blackberry website then it put me on a page which says Distribution Center for Blackberry Software and gives me order information 'Blackberry Enterprise Server 5.0 for Exchange - Version Upgrade' I downloaded the file which was called besx_5.0.2.exe there was no upgrade licence key or anything so I gather the file just uses what we already have.

I hope you can advise me the best way of installing BES 5.0 then transferring our users.

Thanks,
    Mark

Images
    Blog Entries
    Hi,

I finally received the email link from Vodafone today with details to download our upgrade.

Basically I had to fill out an online form on Blackberry website then it put me on a page which says Distribution Center for Blackberry Software and gives me order information 'Blackberry Enterprise Server 5.0 for Exchange - Version Upgrade' I downloaded the file which was called besx_5.0.2.exe there was no upgrade licence key or anything so I gather the file just uses what we already have.

I hope you can advise me the best way of installing BES 5.0 then transferring our users.

Thanks,
    Mark
    Correct - The "one Time" upgrade provides you with a "full installer" (i.e. not just a service pack) so you can do an in-place upgrade. If you want to install BES 5 on a separate server you need to obtain a temp SRP ID\Auth Key.

So does it require a licence key when I install this or will it just install using the existing key.

You mention about a temp\srp id auth key, how should I obtain this.

Ideally I would like to install up a fresh BES then transfer each user over to the new one. Obviously need to work out the procedure.

Images
    Blog Entries
    So does it require a licence key when I install this or will it just install using the existing key.

You mention about a temp\srp id auth key, how should I obtain this.

Ideally I would like to install up a fresh BES then transfer each user over to the new one. Obviously need to work out the procedure.
    The One Time upgrade utilizes your existing SRP ID\Auth Key and CALs. You can obtain a temp SRP ID\Auth Key from your carrier (this can be difficult) or you can just register for a BES 5 Trial and use the supplied ID (but use your existing CALs). Once all the users are migrated switch the Temp SRP ID\Auth Key for the full key on your old BES

randybw1 is offline Junior Member
    BlackBerry Device: 9700

Device Firmware: 5.0.0.602

Mobile Carrier & location: AT&T USA

Same type of senario

Goal Migrate from Physical 4.1.7 to Virtual 5.03 with BESMGT database on new SQL DB.

I have a physical 4.1.7 BES server that has SQL Enterprise 2005 on it hosting the BESMGT database. It's also hosting the companies websites, so I can't P2V it. We are running Exchange 2003 SP2. We want it all seperated. I have all the servers built with Windows 2008 x64 R2, 1 for the new BB server and 1 for the new SQL server running SQL 2008 R2. I only bought the upgrade to BES 5.03, the file is besx_5.0.3.exe. We have no support at all. I asked RIM sales for a migration kit and they quoted me $985.00. My goal is to do it with minimal service interuption to the users. I also do not want to have to re-activate all the users. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Images
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by randybw1 View Post
    Goal Migrate from Physical 4.1.7 to Virtual 5.03 with BESMGT database on new SQL DB.

I have a physical 4.1.7 BES server that has SQL Enterprise 2005 on it hosting the BESMGT database. It's also hosting the companies websites, so I can't P2V it. We are running Exchange 2003 SP2. We want it all seperated. I have all the servers built with Windows 2008 x64 R2, 1 for the new BB server and 1 for the new SQL server running SQL 2008 R2. I only bought the upgrade to BES 5.03, the file is besx_5.0.3.exe. We have no support at all. I asked RIM sales for a migration kit and they quoted me $985.00. My goal is to do it with minimal service interuption to the users. I also do not want to have to re-activate all the users. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Hi,

Just apply for a BES Enterprise trial and use the Temp SRP ID and Auth keysupplied (when the install of the new BES asks for the CAL use your existing CAL\s). Once you finishing migrating users to the new BES disable\shutdown the old BES and then transfer the SRP ID\Auth Key from the old BES to this new server.

Thanks,

Gary

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast